The song Godwin by korede Bello featuring Don Jazzy, was released sometime in February. Two days after it was released, it became a national anthem for the old, young and lovers of good music around the world. Though, the song had some criticisms when it was performed in a Church in Lagos, however, it was received with open heart by many. Interestingly, less than five months down the line, a suiting and world-class video has been released for the song that brings relief, happiness and joy to many, according to their situation. Honestly, I must say this video meets my expectations.
Five things I picked from the video after watching it.
1. The video started with the comedian Bovi acting as a presenter on a TV program tagged “House of Victory.” He prepared the viewers’ minds with his comic presentation, and it was actually a good start.
2. Another thing I noticed is in the story line. The story is just accurate as it depicts the message of the song. For instance, the scene where the guy got a bank alert on his phone, and how he rejoiced was good, as it portrayed the message perfectly. Also, the scene where the lady (by played by LABI of TVC) got the contract was well represented. That of the politician that won the election (played by YAW of WAZOBIA FM) was also great, and a credit to the video.
3. The relationship between DON JAZZY and KOREDE was just perfect for me. They were playful and very free, which revealed convivial interpersonal relationship and fraternity. I wouldn’t be too far from the truth if I said their relationship depicted in the video was unscripted, even though one part of my mind is telling me everything was scripted. I think Korede is just a jolly good fellow, as he is fond of playing in musical videos.
4. Obviously, the “Shoki dance” has hung around for quite some time, and I guess it’s because it is lovely. However, I foresee another trailblazing and “everyone’s” dance, as Korede and Don Jazzy display what looks like a Fulani/Hausa traditional dance in a funky way. I was carried away by the jerky, or should I say break-dance transition into this new dance; the body position, the position of the arms, the movement of the legs, and the somewhat funny turning around. The wink in Korede’s eyes and a touch of play made the new dance graceful.
5. Lastly, the choice of attire was okay for me, as there were no too much costume, apart from the two female dancers whole role needed the particular attire and costume they chose. Actually, the beauty of the dancers would keep you glued to the video, till the end.
The video featured, BOVI, AY, ELENU, LABI, YAW, DR SID, TOLU and many others, yet it was simple.
In a nutshell, I must say ADASA COOKEY did a good job in the directing. It’s a nice concept.